Sunday, January 8, 2012

CLASSICS OF CRAP: VOLUME 19-Mannequin


Something that I've barely touched on in my Classics of Crap series is the romantic comedy. There are so many bad romantic comedies, it's actually kind of difficult to single out the worst of the worst. For some reason, Mannequin leapt to the top (or bottom?) of the pile for me. It is pure, unadulterated awful. The strange thing is, everyone I talked to about seems to have fond memories of this movie. I watched it again for the first time in almost 25 years and was surprised to find that it is far, far worse than I remembered. Only James Spader seems to get what kind of movie this is, and turns in a bizarrely hammy performance. Also, I gotta say, the theme song by Starship is a guilty pleasure, but the rest of the movie is just pathetic. Mannequin? More like ManneCAN'T! *rimshot*

4 comments:

GOGOPEDRO said...

Unbelievably Killer work... "NOTHINGS GONNA STOP YOOOU NOOOOWWW!"
(imagine some starship in there for yah).
Love the Dave Allen Greer. on this...

P

timetraveler said...

This movie is definitely a "so bad it is fun" film. Spader definitely realized this was a piece of crap and just played it to the hilt. Hard to believe that he also did "Less Than Zero" that same year and gave a great performance as Rip the drug pusher/pimp.

Jeff Victor said...

You know, for how stinky this movie is, you just can't help but love its cheerful attitude. Spader's performance is definitely the highlight for me. He's clearly having a good time, and it shows.

Viv said...

Sooooo goooooooood :)